A smashing ways to turn eggshells into mosaics!
- Egg shells
- PVA glue
- Coloured food dye
- Beakers of water
- Broken eggshells are perfect for mosaics!
- Fill some beakers with water and add two capfuls of food dye to each beaker. Wash the eggshells and break them into small pieces. Add the eggshells to the beakers and leave them to soak in the food dye.
- After they have been soaking for a while, take them out and leave them to dry on some kitchen towel. They’ll look like pieces of cracked tile!
- To make the mosaic, draw the outline of your design onto a piece of card.
- Paste some PVA glue onto a small section, keeping to the lines.
- Lay pieces of the egg shell onto the glue. It can be quite fiddly so only work on small sections at one time, so that you don’t get the rest of the picture messy.
- The pieces don’t need to fit together perfectly. As long as you stay within the outlines, you’ll get a fantastic mosaic effect.
- Fill each section with different coloured pieces of shell. Gradually the picture will start to take shape.
Thank you to NAPA for this activity idea.